Popular Posts

Sunday, March 8, 2015

First Race of the Year - Hills Spring Classic

...And I apparently forgot to tell my legs it was race day. Ha! It actually didn't go as badly as I thought for an early season race. The weather was fantastic and we actually had sunshine! It felt so good to be out on the bike with some other ladies. And it was apparently Women's Day for biking, I'm really glad I got out to ride.

The first couple laps were pretty hard. I was sick earlier this week and didn't do much at all beside sit on the couch, luckily my legs finally warmed up and the second two laps weren't so bad. A group of four (out of six women) broke away from the start. We rode together nicely the first lap and then there were a couple of attacks on the second lap where the course transitioned from gravel to road.


Women on the start line. Photo by Brittany McConnell

Alijah managed to initiate a break (nice job girl!) and I fell off from the two girls chasing. Crap! I really did not want to ride 2 1/2 laps by myself so I keep a steady, strong pace and finally caught back after the fist turn once back on gravel. That I caught back up on a gravel section is nothing short of a miracle, I suck big time on gravel!

The three of us stayed together with Mari and I taking turns pulling (her on gravel and me on road). We were almost to the end of the third lap when the leading men's group came around us, and the girl riding with us latched onto their wheels and it was too late when we tried to chase on. Once they were away, there wasn't a chance of us chasing them down.

Mari and I rode together for another half a lap, and once I saw another rider come up on us, I decided to pick up the pace. I rode the rest of the way in solo and was so, so happy to cross the finish line. Glad to have the first race done!

Alijah & I post race. The photo does not do justice to how muddy we were! Photo by Brittany McConnell



No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget