Popular Posts

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

New Beginnings

The first race of the season (for me) was this past Sunday, and my first road race as a cat. 3! I was so anxious/nervous/excited about the race and starting a NEW JOB on Monday, that I could hardly sleep on Saturday night. There were a million things flying through my head now that I get to BIKE TO WORK!!! Like, what dress shoes can I also ride in? And how do I carry my stuff with me? (I'm working on a rack/bag) And then back to worrying about the race, am I going to get dropped immediately? Apparently I need to learn to relax :)

Besides being a little nervous about the category upgrade, I was far more nervous to see what kind of shape I would be in. With the winter we had, and the amount of riding outside that I had gotten in up to this point, I didn't have high hopes or expectations.

I ended up hanging with the lead group for almost 3 of the 5 laps. Towards the end of the 3rd lap the cat 1 guys came around to pass us and we caught onto their tail. The group of women were riding single file behind the guys (it's allowed in this race) and we were riding into a strong headwind. I used all my strength and got on to the end, and then fell back off due to the headwind and pace. It could have been worse! While I was a little disappointed to not finish with the lead group, I was happy to stay with them for as long as I did. 

Mercy Specialized Women
Kent Park Classic - Photo by Mark Considine


It felt great to be back out there racing after what felt like a long winter! The race gave me a good idea of my fitness and the work that I need to put in to get in prime race shape.

I can already tell this is going to be a great year! I am so, so, happy have a job in the same city that I live in! I'm sure everyone that I know is happy that they will no longer have to hear me complain about a 45 minute commute :) And as a bonus to working in IC instead of Cedar Rapids, I now have a mind boggling number of places to go to lunch! It's a good thing I'm burning some extra calories on the ride to and from work ;)

 Happy riding!

-Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget